Monday, March 2, 2009

When God Speaks: A $40 Valentine's Day Teddy Bear That's Fireproof (Song of Solomon)

When God Speaks:
"A $40.00 Valentine's Day Teddy Bear That's Fireproof"
January 27, 2009



The Man: A lotus blossoming in a swamp of weeds- that's my dear friend among the girls in the village.
The Woman: As an apricot tree stands out in the forest, my lover stands above the young men in town. All I want is to sit in his shade, to taste and savor his delicious love. He took me home with him for a festive meal, but his eyes feasted on me! Oh! Give me something refreshing to eat—and quickly! Apricots, raisins—anything. I'm about to faint with love! His left hand cradles my head, and his right arm encircles my waist! Oh, let me warn you, sisters in Jerusalem, by the gazelles, yes, by all the wild deer: Don't excite love, don't stir it up, until the time is ripe—and you're ready. –Song of Solomon 2: 2-7


When I tell you I love Song of Solomon, I love Song of Solomon! Sure the entire book is symbolic of Christ's love for us. But it also proves that God loves romance, intimacy and (as my grandma Sarah would say) "good lovin" in the right context, which we all know to be marriage. But some of us aren't married yet. And everywhere we go, we're reminded of that. Is it me or did Walmart just go from reminding some of us that we had no one special for Christmas to throwing in our faces that there's no boo around to spoil us on Valentine's Day? It is beyond me why my favorite pastime decided to devote five aisles of premium retail space to one day. But then I saw it. It was a big light brown teddy bear with pink paws, a pink heart and I wanted it. And then I saw the price. $40.00! I continued my shopping but I came back to that bear twice. Leaving the store, I resolved that I was going to have that bear- eventually.

I'd waited months for today; the movie Fireproof was released on DVD. What I loved most was the tagline: Never leave your partner behind, especially in a fire. We are/were all looking for someone to love and someone to love us. It gives life meaning. But are we truly doing it the way we're supposed to? The father in Fireproof told his son that he couldn't love his wife because he was incapable of giving something he didn't have. Is that not powerful? How many people are in relationships trying to give what they are without? It will never work. You can't give love if you don't have it. You can't give happiness if you don't have it. Because some people are so desperate to be loved, they will accept anything. You can't be fireproof in a house built on flames.

That's why I love this passage. They were in love but built their foundation on something more lasting. Apparently, according to these divorce rates, people fall in and out of love. But did you notice how Mr. Right referred to his baby as his friend and sistergirl said her man stood above all the men in town? I was once told that love can't exist without friendship and respect. While I agree, I now understand that if I don't know who I am, I don't know what love truly is. If God has created me for greatness, why would I settle for mediocre? If I learned that peace is my inheritance, why would I adopt drama? That is not love. The movie ended with a song that spoke words so true: Love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for. Many of us have been scarred by relationships that were wrong for us. We tried to make them right. We tried to make them work. But they were not in God's ultimate plan for our lives. But let this not blind us to the beauty that is love. Our Father has created a feeling, an emotion, an action, a commitment so wondrous that He has allowed someone to be created that He speaks to solely for our benefit. If that isn't love, what is? I may not get that $40 teddy bear in a few weeks but today, I got something better. I received a greater appreciation for God and what I know He's going to bring me. And I love Him and him more for it. :-)

To every couple I know (married, engaged or dating-and you know God called you two together), I implore you not only to purchase this movie but also complete the Love Dare that compliments it. May you never be afraid of the Kingdom work that will be accomplished because of your union. Demons tremble because you walk boldly in this realm of your purpose. Continue to keep them afraid.


Love is not a place to come and go as we please.
It's a house we enter in and then commit to never leave.
So lock the door behind you and throw away the key.
Work it out together; let it bring us to our knees.
Love is a shelter in a raging storm.
Love is peace in the middle of a war.
And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door.
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for.
-"Love Is Not A Fight", Warren Barfield
©BirthRight, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment