Monday, March 2, 2009

When God Speaks: Changing Lanes (Deuteronomy)

When God Speaks:"Changing Lanes"
October 24, 2008

And the Lord spoke to me [Moses], saying, "You have roamed around this mountain country long enough; turn northward." –Deuteronomy 2:2-3

"CMB, you've been on 95N forever. Sometimes, I think you like being lost. Take the next exit and turn around!!"- a text message from "Bump"



What's funny is the text message I received from that particular angel had absolutely nothing to do with me driving or taking some road trip; he was scolding me about a particular aspect of my life. I remember, a few years ago, someone told me to recognize that not everybody has the right to speak into your life and you have to recognize who those people are and who they aren't. So when "Bump" used his 160 message characters to send me that yesterday, I knew that it would mean something.


"What, Bump?"
"What book is the devotional on this week?"
"Deuteronomy. Why?"
"Good! Because you acting real Israelite-ish right now."
"What are you talking about, boy?"
"Wasn't that trip supposed to take just a couple of days and they were wandering around looking dumb for like 400 years?"
"It was 40, Bump!"
"Well, you get the point. You're on what- like year 49 yourself????"


And he's absolutely right. It wasn't supposed to take them forever to get to the Promised Land. They hindered themselves- by not listening, not believing, not trusting. And sometimes we do the same. It's a shame that sometimes going the wrong way is easier than taking the correct route. The fear of our own success and happiness can paralyze us into doing nothing- by doing everything we're not supposed to do. How hilariously convenient is it that it was my most randomly connected friend who taught me a simple, yet profound, lesson this week: Sometimes, you have to get out of your own way.


Thanks Bump! And no, I don't pay people when I use their names in these things. Holla at Jesus; He has your reward! :-)

©BirthRight, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment