Monday, March 2, 2009

When God Speaks: Pray For Wisdom (II Chronicles)

When God Speaks:"Pray For Wisdom"
December 16, 2008



That night God appeared to Solomon. God said, "What do you want from me? Ask." Solomon answered, "You were extravagantly generous with David my father, and now you have made me king in his place. Establish, God, the words you spoke to my father, for you've given me a staggering task, ruling this mob of people. Yes, give me wisdom and knowledge as I come and go among this people—for who on his own is capable of leading these, your glorious people?" God answered Solomon, "This is what has come out of your heart: You didn't grasp for money, wealth, fame, and the doom of your enemies; you didn't even ask for a long life. You asked for wisdom and knowledge so you could govern well my people over whom I've made you king. Because of this, you get what you asked for—wisdom and knowledge. And I'm presenting you the rest as a bonus—money, wealth, and fame beyond anything the kings before or after you had or will have." – 2 Chronicles 1: 7-12

We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.– George Bernard Shaw

I celebrated my 27th birthday this past Thursday. A few days before, I'd read a dynamic Shellie Warren devotional that suggested that we begin to pray for things that are directly related to helping us fulfill our purpose. I took that heart so on Thursday, these were my exact words:

"Dear God,I thank you for allowing me to see another year of life. I ask that you forgive me for the mistakes I was too afraid to ask forgiveness for and grant me the wisdom to walk forward in love, peace and without fear. Give me the wisdom that will enable people to see You in everything I do.Amen."

There's something about a desire for wisdom. It only comes, I believe, when you recognize that the next levels of your life can not be attained through your own efforts and understanding. It's the reality that you can be better than what you were and greater than what you are…with guidance and temperance.

What I love about God is that before He granted Solomon's request, He knew Solomon would still make mistakes. Wisdom isn't synonymous with perfection. Even with the greatest desire for it, you will not dot every "I" and cross every "T". You are human; you have flaws. But the purpose created for you was designed by One who is flawless. If He was wonderful enough to place in you everything you need to accomplish the work, why not depend on Him to help you do it?

Praying for wisdom isn't selfish. It benefits everyone around you. I think that's why God gave Solomon the "extras" that He did. You want money? Pray for wisdom. What good is the money if you don't have discipline in spending it? You want love? Pray for wisdom. You can't really have the BEST relationship if you don't have the BEST intentions, can you? You want success? Pray for wisdom. Without it, how are you sure it won't go to your head? Whatever it is that you want, I'm not saying that if you pray for wisdom you'll get it. But you will get a better understanding on whether you need it or not.

Pray for wisdom.
Pray for wisdom.
Pray for wisdom.


©BirthRight, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment