Monday, March 2, 2009

When God Speaks: From Gs To Gents- A Love Story (Lamentations)

When God Speaks:“From Gs to Gents: A Love Story”
February 13, 2009


I'll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness, the taste of ashes, the poison I've swallowed.I remember it all—oh, how well I remember- the feeling of hitting the bottom.But there's one other thing I remember, and remembering, I keep a grip on hope:God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up.They're created new every morning. How great your faithfulness!I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over). He's all I've got left. –Lamentations 3: 19-24



There’s a show that comes on MTV called “From Gs to Gents”. The premise of this show is to take men who’ve not necessarily portrayed the most positive images (gangsters or Gs) and transform them into educated, cultured and refined gentlemen. The transformation, over the 12 or so weeks of the show, is sometimes difficult to watch. To see grown men emerging from their insecurities to become the best they can be takes a toll, not only on them but, the supporter as well. Most of my friends, well the female faction, don’t like this show. A few of them asked me “Are these real Gs on the show? I don’t want to watch any fake ones.” My response remained the same: “I’m not so concerned with whether they were real gangsters before as I am excited about the gentlemen they will become.” Yea and Amen.

I’ve written several pieces solely dedicated to encouraging African-American men. But more than any other time they’ve been heavily on my heart this week. Maybe it’s because it’s Valentine’s Day Season and society would lead them to believe if they can’t afford a Harry Winston diamond, they’re worthless. Maybe it’s because I’ve seen the strongest of men become weakened by constant attacks on their integrity and character assassination attempts. Maybe it’s because I’ve witnessed brothers try and try and try and try (and try and try and try) but are knocked down and expected to get back up with the wind still out of them. And who are they called to love? Us. Women who would rather watch episodes of “The Flavor of Love”, “Real Chance at Love” (and any other ignorant dating show) that exhorts a woman’s behind over her inner beauty than a show where African-American men are trying to equip themselves with the tools necessary to better take care of them and us. That’s a lot of pressure. Too much pressure. So Kings, if you don’t hear it today or tomorrow, let me be the first to say:

Your efforts don’t go unnoticed.You are where you are supposed to be.Hard work is rewarded.You are loved beyond measure.Even if you have nothing, you have God’s love.That is MORE than enough!

Here’s my Valentine’s Day gift to you; enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tho49trb4iE

I heard Tyler Perry (read up on his life story when you get a chance…powerful) say this week that Jesus didn’t always have a place to sleep but He always had a place to pray. I know that’s right! You may not have the money tomorrow. You may not be able to make those big plans come to fruition. You may not be able to see your way right now. But you’re always one “In Jesus’ name, Amen” away from the beauty and greatness in life.

Happy Valentine’s Day, Gentlemen.

©BirthRight, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment