Monday, March 2, 2009

When God Speaks: Let The Work Stop So It Can Begin Again (Ezra)

When God Speaks:"Let The Work Stop So It Can Begin Again"
December 22, 2008


The letter of King Artaxerxes was read to Rehum and Shimshai the secretary and their associates. They lost no time. They went to the Jews in Jerusalem and made them quit work. That put a stop to the work on The Temple of God in Jerusalem. Nothing more was done until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia. – Ezra 4: 23- 24

"You better stop and take time before time stop and take you." –My granpa Bud


I sent out an emergency S.O.S. for a girl's night about a month ago; I needed a release. I needed to be honest and free with the ones who loved me enough to let me be just that. Friday finally came. Ten sisterfriends assembled in a living room to update each other on love, life and our own pursuits of happiness. My turn came and I spilled the beans. Amidst all of my girls "telling me like it is" (in love, of course), Courtney spoke the absolute truth: "Candice, you need a sabbatical!" And she was absolutely right.

There are times when circumstances force you to regroup and strategize your next approach. Take for instance this passage and the plight of the children of Israel. They were rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem and haters came along, attempting to distract them. When God's chosen people refused to falter, their enemies intensified their attack: they went to the king and lied on them. The king, convinced their treason was the truth, ordered a stop to the rebuilding of the Temple. The children of Israel obeyed and no work was done for quite some time.

Because God makes no mistakes, we know that this work cessation was a part of a purpose, bigger than even they could see at the time. I wonder how the Israelites used their break. Did they figure out a more effective way to build the Temple or did they not think about work altogether? Were their days spent with the family and loved ones they didn't get to see while working or did they stay in bed all day, doing nothing? Eventually, the Temple was rebuilt and dedicated back to God; their enemies didn't stop that. God's work doesn't end but sometimes, He gives an opportunity to get alone with Him so He can help us understand the blueprint.

This is the last devotional I will send out this year. A great deal has happened this year and I'm tired. Time and I are going out on a date and I've decided to bring peace and happiness along for the ride. God has been unbelievably good to me and it is my reasonable service to rest and refocus in and with Him. And it's yours, too. We stand at the brink of a new year that possesses an abundance of new possibilities that make life more beautiful and believable. Clarity of the mind and a focused purpose are the absolute best ways to show our appreciation for that.

May this Christmas season strengthen your belief in love, peace, faith and joy. And may the anticipation of the New Year pale in comparison to the anticipation of watching God meet and exceed your every need.

With a big and bright smile on my face,
Candice Marie



©BirthRight, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment