Monday, March 2, 2009

When God Speaks: A Self Esteem Boost For Everyone God Created

When God Speaks:"A Self Esteem Boost For Everyone God Created"
January 16, 2009


"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." –Psalm 139:14


Beautiful People,


I was convinced that the next piece I would send to you would be one somehow connected to the Inauguration. And while I know I will be sending something on Tuesday, this one needed an immediate release. When you recognize the gift God has placed in you, sensitivity will always be there. More specifically- you will cherish the moments and opportunities that He allows you to use your gift to bless His people. Today, for me, is no exception. I woke up this morning and I realized something: I woke up this morning! Never (again) taking that aspect of grace and mercy for granted, I began to thank God for allowing me to see another day. As my Master and I communed, one song flowed from my lips: "I am not forgotten. I am not forgotten. I am not forgotten. God knows my name." As I tapped my feet and clapped my hands, I continued Israel and New Breed's joyous declaration: "I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made!"


Now as a child, I've read and recited that verse too many times to count. But I just paid attention to it this morning and to get a better understanding, I read the entire psalm for context. David was praising God for always being there, regardless of the circumstance. He also marveled at how well God knew him to create him the way He did. While I understood all of that, I still had trouble with the "fearfully made" part- so I went to the dictionary. Merriam-Webster suggests that "fearfully" means there is an anticipation or exception of a bad or evil encounter. So if I am "fearfully made", does that mean God specifically created me because He expected that some not so positive things would happen in my life and He wanted to ensure that I overcame them? Why yes- it does!


The day before my birthday, Will Smith was on a Charlotte radio station promoting his latest film Seven Pounds. When asked why he selected the movie and subsequent others (I Am Legend, Hancock and The Pursuit of Happyness), he said he'd become fascinated with telling the story of people whose lives didn't turn out the way they planned. He said he wanted to answer the question: "is this it or will Spring come after Winter like it always has?" Wow. What I'm wise enough to know is that while I talk about "preparing for purpose" and ask if you've "chased destiny today", we all struggle with insecurities that make it seem almost impossible. Whether it's a failed relationship, unsuccessfully completing your education, being slothful, feeling inferior, we all have a "Winter" but thank God for the "Spring"! Can you imagine God creating you to overcome everything that you thought would destroy you? Well, He did.


Inside of you is your healing, your freedom, your greatness, your destiny. Tap into it. On my birthday, I went from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet and wrote down everything I loved about myself. While it took me some time to realize I was worth every ounce of happiness in the world, you can't take that joy and assurance from me. My best friend Sheleda's mom (aka "Mom2 ") told me that I was created from the greatest of the Great which means that greatness also exists in me, too! And it's in you, as well. Whatever has hindered up to this point, I simply ask that you let it go. He gave it to you not to bind you, but to free you. Everything is working for your good. Everything is working for your purpose. Everything is working for your restoration. Everything.

©BirthRight, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment